Toggle navigation

Coronavirus Information: We are here to help

Find out more

Adoption Orders

Banner Jones Solicitors can provide expert guidance and advice on Adoption Orders.

When an adoption order is made, the child’s legal status within their natural family is terminated and they become a full legal member of a new adoptive family. This gives you parental rights and responsibilities for the child.

Adoption orders are very often the result of care proceedings, where the court has decided that it is in the best interests of the child to not go back to their natural family.

Our experts in Chesterfield, Sheffield, Mansfield and Nottingham can assist with any aspect of care proceedings and adoption orders.

Adoption Order Process

These orders may be “closed” whereby the natural family have no further involvement in the child’s life or in some cases, it is appropriate to make an “open” Adoption Order, whereby there is some form of continued contact between the child and some or all members of their natural family.

Adoption Orders aim to provide a stable family environment for a child hopefully with a successful integration into the new family life.

Rights After An Adoption Order Has Been Granted

If an adoption order is granted you have the following parental rights and responsibilities:

  • An adoption certificate this will replace the child’s original birth certificate
  • The child is entitled to the same rights as they would if they were your own birth child
  • The adoption is permanent

The adoption order also takes away the parental responsibility from:

  • The birth parents of the child
  • Any other person who had legal parental responsibility for the child

Find Out More Information On Adoption Orders

If you are considering an adoption order speak with one of our family law specialists, they are highly experienced and can provide you with support and guidance to help you make informed decisions. If you do choose to apply for an adoption order our solicitors will be with you every step of the way guiding you through the adoption process.

We have offices in Chesterfield, Sheffield, Dronfield, Mansfield, Nottingham, Derby, Ilkeston and Bulwell.

Care Proceedings


If you have 'accidentally' saved money in the last 12 months and would like a better return than the banks will give you, then why not speak to our team at Banner Jones Wealth Management about how to make this happen? 01246 560 570

about 15 hours ago

Frequently Asked Questions

He's got to keep a roof over our heads hasn't he?

Non-residential parents have to pay maintenance for their children; hopefully the amount can be agreed though negotiation and if not then the CSA will decide. Each case is different.   If for example the Mum and the children stay in the family home then she may relinquish her claims over any other assets such as pension and savings in return.

My aunt only has one bank account. Can I deal with this on her behalf?

If the bank allows, it is possible for your aunt to name you as a third party on her bank account. This will allow you to withdraw funds and sign cheques on her behalf. We can help your aunt complete the mandate form required to put this in place.

What am I entitled to in a divorce? Can she take me for every penny?

No.  Sometimes it may feel as though this has happened. The aim when sharing out matrimonial assets is to be fair.  Both spouses have to make full disclosure about their assets and debts before any decisions can be made about distribution, trying to hide anything won't work.  Factors which are important when sharing out the assets include the current and future needs of each spouse and any dependent children; the length of marriage and the age, earning capacity and contributions of each party.

Will I lose touch with my children?

Your aim should be that both parents still play an active part in the raising of the child/children.  Usually parents sort this out amongst themselves, although if there are problems mediation can be a good way to resolve this.  Going to Court should always be the last resort where children are involved.

Will we have to go to Court during our divorce?

No, getting a divorce should be an administrative excersise only and there are many options open to you that avoid going to Court.

How soon can I file for Divorce?

There is a 12 month barring rule which means you can start the divorce process after being married for 1 year. In England you can get divorced if your marriage has broken down irretrivably, usually proved by allegations of adultery or unreasonable behaviour, or if there has been 2 years' of continously living apart.

Latest News

See All
Are Pre-Nups Binding?
Kelly Parks
Family Law
Kelly Parks
Leading law firm Banner Jones celebrates success in Legal 500
Simon Wright
Personal Injury
Simon  Wright
Robert Banner
Personal Injury
Robert Banner
Helena Downing
Care Proceedings
Helena Downing
Error in Divorce Form E
Should I be concerned?
Banner Jones Receive ‘Leading Firm’ status for the 3rd Year
Children & Separation Guide
Divorce Survival Tips

97% of our clients would recommend us to a friend
(Ongoing Client Survey)

The family department at Banner Jones have just completed the legal arrangements in respect of my divorce. The service I received was exemplary and I wanted to write to you to let you know this. I have been pretty constrained in relation to availability to meet and most of our business has been done over email which I appreciated. Responses have been very timely, updates provided regularly, deadlines hit and fees reasonable. I contrast this with the service provided by a large law firm in Sheffield in the early part of the year and your approach and that of your staff to customer services, in my view, sets your firm apart. Your firm came to me through personal recommendation by a friend and I shall be happy to do the same. Thank you again.

Mr C, Sheffield

Thanks for your assistance with my case, your advice has been invaluable, and I would certainly recommend Banner Jones to my family and friends.

Mr P Sheffield

Thankyou Helena Downing for all your excellent service.

Mr & Mrs W, Alfreton

We would like to thank our solicitor acting for us Richard, he did a great job and was very easy to speak to and very friendly. Extremely professional and we would use him again in the future.

Mr & Mrs S, Sheffield

Can’t thank Mr Dawes enough for everything, and for explaining things to me. Lovely man. Would use the company again. Friendly, nice, understanding and on time for appointments too.

Ms J, Mansfield

Helena I would like to thank you from the bottom of my heart for believing in us. Without you I don't know what we would have done. 

Mr & Mrs R, Chesterfeld

Very efficient, friendly and professional. We would definitely recommend to friends and family. They made the whole experience problem free.

Mrs W, Mansfield

We’re really grateful for the work you did for us. 10 out of 10!

Mr & Mrs S, Bridlington

Very easy to make appointments, very personal service from all people at Banner Jones, my solicitor was very friendly and put me at ease. If I needed a solicitor again, Banner Jones would be the first on my list.

Mr C, Dronfield

Brilliant service, kept well informed all the way through the process. Would definitely recommend.

Miss H, Nottinghamshire

Get in touch today

Contact us

Talk to our friendly team today on: 0330 017 6309

Email us Request a callback

Talk to our team

We take data privacy very seriously, and we want you to understand and feel confident about how we collect, store and handle your personal data. If you’d like to find out more you can read our Privacy Policy.