Toggle navigation

Domestic Violence

At Banner Jones we have one of the largest family law teams in the Sheffield, Mansfield and Chesterfield areas, which enables us to respond very quickly if you are suffering from domestic violence from anyone with whom you have a domestic relationship, or have been in a domestic relationship with in the past. It may be your spouse, partner, or even your child. The domestic violence may be physical or psychological.

Talk to our team today on:
0330 017 6309

Kelly Parks
Kelly Parks
Head of Family

Banner Jones Family Law Reviews

4.7 out of 5
4.7 out of 5 based on 61 ratings

Domestic Violence Support

At Banner Jones our approach to domestic violence will be to first, consider how to best protect you, and take the correct legal steps. This may involve making an application for an injunction from the court in order to stop the person coming near you. This will help prevent and further domestic violence. We may carry a Power of Arrest to give you effective protection. 

If you are concerned about how much this could cost, rest assured that you can still qualify for Legal Aid in cases such as:

  • Domestic Violence Injunction Cases, where you need protection from somebody who is being violent or abusive towards you.
  • Cases relating to Divorce, financial matters and children, where there is evidence of domestic violence.

Domestic Violence Advice

At Banner Jones we know that this can be an extremely disturbing time and you are likely to be stressed. Our team of expert domestic violence solicitors in Sheffield, Mansfield and Chesterfield are highly experienced and will treat each case uniquely depending on your circumstances. We know you may be worried that the person who you are seeking protection from may find out you are seeking legal domestic violence advice. Our specialists are always on hand to provide support ,and we ensure all our cases are fully confidential. At Banner Jones, we have your best interests at the heart of everything we do.


Did you know that people are 10% more likely to #StartUp a new business in January? If this is you, our expert Business Legal Services team can help you with the things you need to consider during your company formation. Find out more here:

about 8 hours ago

Frequently Asked Questions

He's got to keep a roof over our heads hasn't he?

Non-residential parents have to pay maintenance for their children; hopefully the amount can be agreed though negotiation and if not then the CSA will decide. Each case is different.   If for example the Mum and the children stay in the family home then she may relinquish her claims over any other assets such as pension and savings in return.

How soon can I file for Divorce?

There is a 12 month barring rule which means you can start the divorce process after being married for 1 year. In England you can get divorced if your marriage has broken down irretrivably, usually proved by allegations of adultery or unreasonable behaviour, or if there has been 2 years' of continously living apart.

My aunt only has one bank account. Can I deal with this on her behalf?

If the bank allows, it is possible for your aunt to name you as a third party on her bank account. This will allow you to withdraw funds and sign cheques on her behalf. We can help your aunt complete the mandate form required to put this in place.

What am I entitled to in a divorce? Can she take me for every penny?

No.  Sometimes it may feel as though this has happened. The aim when sharing out matrimonial assets is to be fair.  Both spouses have to make full disclosure about their assets and debts before any decisions can be made about distribution, trying to hide anything won't work.  Factors which are important when sharing out the assets include the current and future needs of each spouse and any dependent children; the length of marriage and the age, earning capacity and contributions of each party.

Will I lose touch with my children?

Your aim should be that both parents still play an active part in the raising of the child/children.  Usually parents sort this out amongst themselves, although if there are problems mediation can be a good way to resolve this.  Going to Court should always be the last resort where children are involved.

Will we have to go to Court during our divorce?

No, getting a divorce should be an administrative excersise only and there are many options open to you that avoid going to Court.

When should we consider a Post or Pre-Nuptial Agreement?

As soon as possible. The longer the pre-nuptial agreement is in place prior to a marriage or civil partnership being entered into the better. However, agreements entered into after marriage or Civil Partnership can still have legal effect.  In order for a pre-nuptial agreement of this nature to be made binding there needs to be independent legal advice for both parties, full and frank financial disclosure and no duress.  If a pre-nuptial agreement of this nature is entered into at the church door then it is open to an allegation that one party or the other has been under a level of duress to enter into the agreement.

Latest News

97% of our clients would recommend us to a friend
(Ongoing Client Survey)

Thanks for your assistance with my case, your advice has been invaluable, and I would certainly recommend Banner Jones to my family and friends.

Mr P Sheffield

The family department at Banner Jones have just completed the legal arrangements in respect of my divorce. The service I received was exemplary and I wanted to write to you to let you know this. I have been pretty constrained in relation to availability to meet and most of our business has been done over email which I appreciated. Responses have been very timely, updates provided regularly, deadlines hit and fees reasonable. I contrast this with the service provided by a large law firm in Sheffield in the early part of the year and your approach and that of your staff to customer services, in my view, sets your firm apart. Your firm came to me through personal recommendation by a friend and I shall be happy to do the same. Thank you again.

Mr C, Sheffield

Thankyou Helena Downing for all your excellent service.

Mr & Mrs W, Alfreton

We would like to thank our solicitor acting for us Richard, he did a great job and was very easy to speak to and very friendly. Extremely professional and we would use him again in the future.

Mr & Mrs S, Sheffield

Get in touch today

Contact us

Talk to our friendly team today on: 0330 017 6309

Kelly Parks
Kelly Parks
Head of Family
Email us Request a callback

Talk to our team