Toggle navigation

Lasting Powers of Attorney- LPA

A Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) is created to allow someone else the ability to look after your affairs if your mental capacity is lost. It isn't a nice thing to think about which is why most people will put it off as long as they can.   We would advise however, that you do this sooner rather than later as an LPA can only be created when your mental capacity is sound. 

More often than not people create Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) in later life when there is a higher chance of mental capacity being lost through dementia for example.  However, mental capacity can be lost at any age as a result of say, an accident so we would also advise anyone with complex financial affairs to have one as well.

There may also be a variety of reasons why you might need to look after someone else’s affairs and there are several ways of ensuring that you are acting properly on their behalf.

At Banner Jones, our LPA specialists in Chesterfield, Dronfield, Sheffield and Mansfield can advise you on the best course of action for your particular circumstances.


Frequently Asked Questions

My father is elderly and has said that he would prefer me to deal with his bills and finances for him. Can I do this?

As long as your father has mental capacity he could do this by giving you “power of attorney” which will allow you to look after things for up to a year for him. If he later loses mental capacity, however, then the power of attorney will come to an end.

Alternatively, your father could give you Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA). This would not come to an end if your father were to lose mental capacity later on, and will last indefinitely, not just for one year. We would need to see your father personally so we can explain the LPA to him and make sure this is what he wants. We would then be able to prepare a document for him to sign, which would give you power to deal with his finances on his behalf.

We will tailor-make the LPA to suit your father’s wishes and we can discuss his options with him at the initial appointment. It cannot be used until it is registered with the Office of the Public Guardian, and we would be happy to deal with this too.

What do I do next?

We are always keen to find the best solution possible for your particular circumstances, and we know that no two families are the same. Whatever your circumstances you can telephone us or make an appointment to discuss your situation with us in more detail. We will then be able advise you as to the best way forward.

Get in touch today

Contact us

Talk to our friendly team today on: 0330 017 6309

Katie Woodward
Katie Woodward
Email us Request a callback

Talk to our team