Toggle navigation

Coronavirus Information: We are here to help

Find out more

Sheffield Family Law Solicitors

Did you know that 42% of marriages end in divorce?

At Banner Jones, we know that every case is unique. We will cover all your options and recommend that the best solution for you.

Before you can proceed with a divorce, you must prove your marriage has irretrievably broken down by establishing one of the following five facts:

  1. Adultery.
  2. Unreasonable behaviour.
  3. Desertion.
  4. 2 years separation - consent is required by your partner.
  5. 5 years separation - no approval is required.

For more information about grounds for divorce and whether you have a case, call Banner Jones Solicitors on 0330 017 6301

The three stages of divorce:

Stage One: Prepare a divorce petition

After discussing your situation, and if we feel it is feasible, we will prepare you a divorce petition. This document will be sent to Court to start your divorce proceedings. If you have any children, a statement of arrangements will also be sent to Court.

Your spouse will receive a copy of the divorce petition which needs be signed and sent to Court. To begin filing for divorce, you will require a marriage certificate and must pay a Court Fee of £550.00.

Stage Two: Requesting permission from the Court to divorce - applying for Decree Nisi.

At Banner Jones, we will update the Court on any changes since the start of divorce proceedings.  All the information will be reviewed by a District Judge, who will decide if there's enough evidence for grounds of divorce. If the Court approves your case, we will receive a certificate called a Decree Nisi. This certificate states that the Court agrees your marriage has irretrievably broken down and permits you to end your marriage.

Stage 3: Making your divorce legally binding - applying for Decree Absolute.

The Decree Absolute is the final stage of the divorce procedure. This stage will officially end your marriage. You can only apply for Decree Absolute 43 days after the Decree Nisi date. Once the Decree Absolute is confirmed, both parties will be officially divorced and free to remarry.

Why do I need a solicitor for my divorce?

You can represent yourself when filing for divorce, but there are many reasons to get professional help. At Banner Jones, we know too well that family law is ever changing and keeping up to date with the correct information is challenging.

We've seen people try to represent themselves. If done unsuccessfully, this can end up costing more time and money and dragging out the divorce process even longer.  

Going through a divorce is hard enough. Our compassionate team of family law specialists are here to make the divorce process as straightforward and as stress-free as possible. By choosing a family law specialist, you will get all the support plus advice on more complex legal issues. 

Why choose Banner Jones for family law matters?

  • Our team of Sheffield based Family Law Solicitors will handle your case with the utmost care and support.
  • 97% of our clients would recommend us to a friend.
  • Since 2013, we’ve been a leading 500 Legal Law Firm.

For more information on fixed fee divorce in the Sheffield Hallam 2 FM region, call our specialists on 0330 017 6301 today!

Watch Our Video

What is Mediation?

Play video What is Mediation?

Video provided by MOJ

Legal 500 Firm

Legal 500

Our Family team have been ranked in the Legal 500 yet again for their outstanding work

97% of our clients would recommend us to a friend
(Ongoing Client Survey)

Thanks for your assistance with my case, your advice has been invaluable, and I would certainly recommend Banner Jones to my family and friends.

Mr P Sheffield

Thankyou Helena Downing for all your excellent service.

Mr & Mrs W, Alfreton

The family department at Banner Jones have just completed the legal arrangements in respect of my divorce. The service I received was exemplary and I wanted to write to you to let you know this. I have been pretty constrained in relation to availability to meet and most of our business has been done over email which I appreciated. Responses have been very timely, updates provided regularly, deadlines hit and fees reasonable. I contrast this with the service provided by a large law firm in Sheffield in the early part of the year and your approach and that of your staff to customer services, in my view, sets your firm apart. Your firm came to me through personal recommendation by a friend and I shall be happy to do the same. Thank you again.

Mr C, Sheffield

Thank you for all your hard work and compassion with my matters.

Miss P, Chesterfield

We would like to thank our solicitor acting for us Richard, he did a great job and was very easy to speak to and very friendly. Extremely professional and we would use him again in the future.

Mr & Mrs S, Sheffield

Excellent service. I would recommend Banner Jones for very helpful advice.

Mrs B, Berry Hill

Katie Hyland was absolutely brillant dealing with my matter and have recommended her to friends going trough the same thing. She is friendly and professional and made me feel at ease

Ms W, Chesterfield

Exceptional service at a very reasonable cost.

Mr G, Forest Town

I would like to say a big thank you for your understanding at a very stressful time. You not only acted professionally but with great compassion. My family can not say in words how difficult a time we are having, and it means so much to have just a little kindness. No matter what the outcome today, you did a wonderful job.

Mr W, Swinton

Very pleased with the service provided. The Deed Poll process, fees etc. were all explained to me clearly by Kelly. All of the staff I dealt with were very helpful and professional. Thank you!

Miss B, Sheffield

Latest News

See All
Common law marriage - does it exist?
Kelly Parks
Family Law
Kelly Parks
Dogs & Divorce: Is it a bone of contention?
Kelly Parks
Family Law
Kelly Parks
Reforming the Divorce Laws
Kelly Parks
Family Law
Kelly Parks
Expansion for Banner Jones’ Family Law team
Kelly Parks
Family Law
Kelly Parks
Adam Kidd
Family Law
Adam Kidd
Are Pre-Nups Binding?
Kelly Parks
Family Law
Kelly Parks
More legal aid support for victims of domestic violence
Kelly Parks
Family Law
Kelly Parks
Banner Jones bolsters Family Law division
Leading law firm Banner Jones celebrates success in Legal 500
Simon Wright
Personal Injury
Simon  Wright
Robert Banner
Personal Injury
Robert Banner
Helena Downing
Care Proceedings
Helena Downing
Home secretary must establish marriage of convenience

Frequently Asked Questions

He's got to keep a roof over our heads hasn't he?

Non-residential parents have to pay maintenance for their children; hopefully the amount can be agreed though negotiation and if not then the CSA will decide. Each case is different.   If for example the Mum and the children stay in the family home then she may relinquish her claims over any other assets such as pension and savings in return.

How soon can I file for Divorce?

There is a 12 month barring rule which means you can start the divorce process after being married for 1 year. In England you can get divorced if your marriage has broken down irretrivably, usually proved by allegations of adultery or unreasonable behaviour, or if there has been 2 years' of continously living apart.

My aunt only has one bank account. Can I deal with this on her behalf?

If the bank allows, it is possible for your aunt to name you as a third party on her bank account. This will allow you to withdraw funds and sign cheques on her behalf. We can help your aunt complete the mandate form required to put this in place.

What am I entitled to in a divorce? Can she take me for every penny?

No.  Sometimes it may feel as though this has happened. The aim when sharing out matrimonial assets is to be fair.  Both spouses have to make full disclosure about their assets and debts before any decisions can be made about distribution, trying to hide anything won't work.  Factors which are important when sharing out the assets include the current and future needs of each spouse and any dependent children; the length of marriage and the age, earning capacity and contributions of each party.

Will I lose touch with my children?

Your aim should be that both parents still play an active part in the raising of the child/children.  Usually parents sort this out amongst themselves, although if there are problems mediation can be a good way to resolve this.  Going to Court should always be the last resort where children are involved.

Will we have to go to Court during our divorce?

No, getting a divorce should be an administrative excersise only and there are many options open to you that avoid going to Court.

Our Family Law Specialist Team


Online Probate. For some, the process maybe straight forward, but for others it may just be too complicated. This guide highlights the online Probate process and some of the things you will need to consider. Our team are only a phone call away.

6 minutes ago

Get in touch today

Contact us

Talk to our friendly team today on: 0330 017 6309

Kelly Parks
Kelly Parks
Head of Family Law
Email us Request a callback

Talk to our team

We take data privacy very seriously, and we want you to understand and feel confident about how we collect, store and handle your personal data. If you’d like to find out more you can read our Privacy Policy.