Skip to main content

If you feel you have been provided with incorrect advice, which has lead to a financial loss, you can consider pursuing a professional negligence claim to recover your losses.  In order for your claim to be successful, you would need to be able to establish that the professional has failed to meet the common standards of practice in their field.

We can advise on claims against professionals including:

  • Solicitors
  • Barristers
  • Accountants
  • Surveyors
  • Financial advisors
  • Tax advisers
  • Architects

Our Dispute Resolution team has extensive experience of a broad range of professional negligence disputes.  We adapt our approach in each case to meet the client’s aims and to reflect the specific circumstances of the case.  We are skilled in using litigation and all forms of Alternative Dispute Resolution (including mediation, arbitration and adjudication) to resolve claims.

Are these types of dispute expensive?

As with any legal dispute, costs are a very important consideration and therefore these must be carefully discussed at the outset of a claim. Court proceedings can be very expensive but the vast majority of disputes reach a settlement without the need for a final court hearing.  We offer a number of different funding options to clients and will always seek to offer an appropriate method of funding a claim, together with regular costs updates as the claim progresses.

How long do claims take?

It is difficult to give an accurate timescale as each dispute is different and the timescale largely depends on whether an early resolution can be achieved.  If a settlement can be negotiated informally without legal proceedings being necessary then a typical dispute may be resolved in 3-6 months.

How long do I have to make a claim?

The relevant limitation period in most professional negligence is six years from the date of the negligence, but this can be extended in circumstances where the negligence only comes to light at a later date.

What if the Defendant is no longer trading or is insolvent?

Typically, most professionals will carry indemnity insurance to cover against any claims.  We will therefore ascertain whether there is sufficient cover in place before embarking on any claim.

Talk to our team